Translate

Monday, April 02, 2018

Retired After 44+ Years

After more than 44 long years of dedicated service --


-- the squeak of the handle of this well worn lunch kit will no longer be announcing my husband's return from work as a telephone lineman.

Today is the first day in over 44 years (not counting vacation time and the very rare sick day) that both he and his lunch box will not be heading off to work. The two of them have now officially retired. I'm so thankful for all the years he worked to support our family and to secure a comfortable future for us.

Enjoy your retirement Brian, you deserve it!  ahem  Are you ready for your "Honey Do" list?

(Full disclosure? This lunch kit wasn't  quite with him the entire time. For the first few years he had a shorter one just like it.)

6 comments:

Gene Black said...

No, he is NOT ready for the "honey do" list. Give him a few months - or at least weeks - to enjoy being free. :)

I hope Brian enjoys his retirement as much as I enjoy mine!

dragon knitter said...

congrats!

Marlene said...

LOL. I was just kidding Gene. Brian has a long list of his own of things he's been wanting to get to. He's never been one to lay about.

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

That is very nice. Happy retirement Brian. I hope you both have wonderful things planned.

Martha said...

Congratulations to your family on a well-earned retirement! I hope that you will keep the lunchbox out on display as an artifact of your family's life history. My mother still has the lunchbox that my father used all of his years as a custodian after he retired from the Navy after 20 years. The lunchbox was in service for 30 years and is still displayed in my mother's apartment at her assisted living residence. It is a comforting reminder of my father's work and efforts.

Marlene said...

Thanks Joanne. Brian is really enjoying his retirement. As a telephone lineman he worked outside in all types of weather. Today is the first day we've seen sunshine since he retired but every day he looks outside and says how glad he is to be looking out at the downpour rather than working in it!

Thanks Martha. I haven't tossed the lunchbox yet. It served us well over the years.