Translate

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

When Shopping Fails

Sometimes when you can't find what you want in stores you just have to resort to making it yourself. I've looked and looked for tunic length tops which are long enough to cover my butt when I wear leggings. It amazes me that leggings are so popular and yet it's still hard to find long tops to wear with them!


So I took matters into my own hands, and with the help of an excellent pattern, "#3245 Raglan Tee, Racerback Tank and Tunics, by Jalie", I created the sleeveless tunic I was looking for. I made one in solid red as well. I think both turned out great! I love Jalie's method for binding the neckline and armholes. It turns out looking so professional.


The purchase of a single Jalie pattern gives you multiple sizes. In this particular case it provides sizes from 12 month baby all the way up to size 52 ladies. I couldn't resist buying fabric and make a couple up for my granddaughters as well.


Though the binding takes a while , and you are working with knit fabric, the whole shirt is very simple to do. My eight year old granddaughter's was finished the same day that I bought the fabric!


It fits her very well.


I have had a few busy days since and haven't had time to sew, but my older granddaughter will be getting one too. She has requested a shirt length, rather than tunic, and a slightly higher front neckline. Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow.

2 comments:

ChelleC said...

Beautiful job Marlene! You are right, it is so hard to find a tunic length top for leggings. Yours looks great.

Unknown said...

Super cute!!! You're right- very hard to find long shirts and yet leggings are so popular