Translate

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Tour de Fleece

This year I'm participating in the "Tour de Fleece", a spinner's event that parallels the Tour de France bike race.  Spinners choose a personal spinning related challenge and spin throughout the 21 day time frame of the Tour de France. For some it's to spin as much as possible. For others is might be to learn a new spinning style, try a new fibre, or spin using a spindle when they have been primarily a wheel spinner.

My chosen challenge is to spin for a minimum of 15 minutes for each of the 21 days of the tour. It might not seem like much to dedicated spinners, but I normally only spin 2 or 3 times per year. To spin 21 days in a row is really something. Now that I've started I have found that for 2 out of 3 of those days I have spun considerably more than that. This is my accomplishments so far.

Day One I spun for only 17 or so minutes and got this bobbin of singles:



On Day Two I added a bit to the bobbin of singles and then decided to ply it as well.


On Day Three I spun the singles for this small skein and then decided to go ahead and ply it as well.



It's photographed sitting on top of the HUGE reel of thread I purchased specifically for this type of plying. I found it for only a dollar at a thrift store.

Today I'm spinning from a bag full of fibre that I won as a door prize at a spin in last year.

2 comments:

MarthaVA said...

WOW! Love the thread you found at the thrift store! I never seem to find anything so great when I go.....

I finally started spinning again but had to back out of joining the tour because I didn't want to feel like I HAD to spin.

Good job!
Martha

Marlene said...

I don't mind feeling that I have to spin for this. In fact, it is the only thing that is getting me to leave my numerous other hobbies long enough to sit down to spin. Once I do I quite enjoy myself and usually end up spinning for longer. Maybe next year you can make a very small commitment Martha and see how it goes. Like a commitment to spin every day of the tour even if it is only for one minute each day. I'm guessing once you start at the wheel or spindle you'll end up doing more than just your minimum, but at least with a low minimum you won't feel overwhelmed.

That's quite the thread spool hey? I had an identical one offered to me for free not long ago. I declined. I just couldn't see me ever using up TWO lifetimes worth of black thread!