Thursday, February 27, 2014

Iceling Cardigan

Just finished a little sweater set for a friend's new baby boy.

Iceling Cardigan

It's the Iceling Cardigan (and hat) from a pattern designed by Carol Feller.

Iceling Cardigan

The only change I made to the pattern was to add the applied I-cord to the bottom edge. I only added it to hide a small mistake. I had forgotten to slip the first stitch of one of the rows and it left a bump on the lower edge.

Iceling Cardigan

Knit in Patons Decor (75% Acrylic, 25% Wool) so it will be easy care for the new mom.

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Evolution of An Idea

Those pants I blogged about a few days ago are now part of a complete uniform. A lot of sewing has happened in between.

Evolution of an Idea

I started with the pants, added the basic tunic (which needed refitting!) and made the harness/belt. Once I knew everything worked and what alterations to do, I went back and altered the pattern and resewed the entire tunic.

Altered uniform

I'm much happier with this final version. The sleeves are a full inch shorter, the body of the tunic is 1/2" shorter, and the height of the collar is reduced by 1/4". I also added one more detail ---

Lieutenant Zenawii Tulusson

Zenawii is now a Lieutenant!

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Free Make Over

Four year old Kenzie did my hair and makeup, picked my jewellery, told me what expression to make,
and took the picture.

Makeover by a 4 year old.

It may not be the most flattering portrait ever, but a lot of love went into it.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

He Has Pants

Zenawii is very happy to have his own body now and to send Patrick's home. I think he's rather pleased that his body is more muscular. He's claiming it's all that working out he does in the holodeck gym onboard the starship.

He was a bit perturbed to discover that the clothing he had use of was also Patrick's.

Clothing please!

Lest my young granddaughters come over and see him sitting there in all his anatomically correct nakedness, I quickly sewed up a pair of pants for him.


I used the Adams-Harris pattern, "Space Cadet" and they fit like a dream!


Saturday, February 01, 2014

Just --- Meh!

Here’s today’s weaving efforts:

Meh. 'tis okay I guess.

The first scarf is off the loom and wet finished. I just realized it’s not completely finished though. I still need to weave in the tails from the hem stitching.

Overall my feeling for the finished scarf is just a non-commital “Meh!”. It doesn’t do much for me. I used a fine grey merino/silk/cashmere laceweight yarn in an effort to tone down the colour of the warp, which I was feeling was a bit too gaudy. It looked okay on the loom but when it was wet finished the cashmere in the weft bloomed rather significantly and kind of took over more than I had wished.

With that in mind I am using a fine mercerized cotton to weave off the remainder of the warp.

second project, same warp

It’s allowing more of the original colour to show and also making for a lacier effect. I don’t know if there will be enough length here for a scarf or not. If not it will become --- um --- something else!