Translate

Monday, July 18, 2011

On the Loom

Loosely woven scarf, in progress. The warp is a combination of about 40% "Online Linie 106, Flair" (a polyester ladder yarn), and a combination of laceweight yarns including cashmere, hand-dyed tencel, a merino/silk/cashmere blend, and a handspun merino/silk. The weft is black "Silken Kydd" (70% super kid mohair and 30% silk) from Elann.com.

IMG_5185

Turns out the 2/28 cashmere wasn't a great choice for a warp yarn. I've had quite a number of threads break on me. I've been getting lots of practice in replacing broken warp threads!

IMG_5187

2 comments:

Rachael said...

That is beautiful! How did the heddles handle the ladder yarn?

Marlene said...

The ladder yarn was no problem at all Rachael. It just turned itself sideways going through the heddles and the reed.

I've got both scarves woven now and I'm spending the morning making repairs. I had a strand of very fine 100% cashmere in the warp and it broke easily. Almost all the repairs have to do with that, though I did have one threading error that I didn't catch until I had woven have of the first scarf! Reweaving that thread correctly took a good while.