Translate

Monday, September 08, 2008

Masters Monday - 2.32

I would like to report that all is going well and that I am finished the argyle. I would LIKE to, but I can't.....not without lying anyway. *sigh*

I thought all was going well. I thought I had knit the argyle section perfectly. I even went so far as to sew in all those fiddly ends, block the argyle section and start the duplicate stitch lines.

It was then that I saw it. The Error. The mistake that is hard to spot at first, but then becomes a huge obstacle that cannot be overcome without redoing the whole darn sock.

Do you see it? I've marked the area with the dark brackets. Take a look at the line of the diamond. See how it looks straight all the way down to the outlined section and then suddenly curves inward? I didn't at first. I only found it when I started the duplicate stitch lines and they didn't go through the bottom section of that diamond in the right spot. I could've weeped. I nearly did.

Ripping the sock back that far would be pointless. It wouldn't be able to salvage the yarn and it would take more time and be more frustrating than if I just start over again.

And so here I am starting over again. *sob*

I knew of this tragedy last Monday when the blocking photo went up but I had written that blog entry earlier in the week and had post dated the entry then forgot to take it down when I realized my mistake. Rather than interrupt your kind comments I figured I would leave the explaining until this week.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

I am so sorry. I know I'll end up doing the same. When I get there.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow...that is really terrible. I hope this one knits up twice as fast with not a single mistake.

Sharon in Surrey said...

I'm so glad you put the error in brackets because I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't!! I'm also glad you found the error before you sent it in for grading . . . secretly, it still looks great to me.

Marlene said...

The Error happened because this is a pattern that is a little unusual for an argyle. Instead of the diagonal line of the diamond shapes moving out (or in) on every row, this one only does it on every second row, on the right side. It looks like I accidentally did two rows on the reverse side as well just in that one spot.

If there was a way to make this work I would use this incorrect one as a second sock to make up a pair with the one I will hand in, but it can't really be done successfully. I know it doesn't look like much of a problem at this point, but the error makes the first diamonds 2 rows shorter than they should be and that throws off the duplicate stitched lines so that when they arrive at the next tier of diamonds they would be off centre. Grrrr.

Carrie said...

Wow that error is really hard to see. I got what you meant when you started duplicate stitching, though. Otherwise, I'd so have left it! Sorry you have to reknit.

lookinout said...

So disappointing. Now that you've pointed out the one, the other two diamonds show it clearly. Good luck with it.
Gillian

Dave said...

Oh, no!!

Marlene said...

Unfortunately Dave oh yes. Yes, an unfixable screw up not noticed until the end. It really hurts that I invisibly darned in all those fiddly little ends before I noticed.

Ah well, if I look on the bright side at least I don't have to re-swatch. I know my yarn is a good choice, my needles work well with the yarn, and I have a piece I've been using to practice my seaming on.....AND the seaming actually looks great.

It's only knitting right? I can redo it.

Anonymous said...

Well crud.

Which is the best I can come up with, when what I want to do is race over with the best cocoa in the nicest mug and try to make it all better.

Maggie Ann said...

Thats a shame! Actually, I can't see your error, so that just shows how much a knitting novice I am. sigh...