Translate

Saturday, March 04, 2006

A Bit Of A Drive

I've been swept up by the latest knitalong being talked about on various knitting related Yahoo groups. It's the one doing the Diamond Fantasy Shawl. I'm usually immune to knitalongs, preferring to do my own thing at my own pace, but this one has really caught my eye so I might as well play along.

I like to support local yarn stores whenever I can, and tried in vain to find both the pattern and an appropriate yarn in my own home town. Today my husband and I drove all the way to Knitopia in White Rock to buy this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

It's a skein of Fleece Artist Handpainted Merino. I LOVE the colors in this one!

And here it is all balled up and ready to be knit:

Image hosting by Photobucket

I think winding a handpainted yarn into balls gives you a better idea of how the colors will look in the finished item.

Join me over at Sivia Harding Knits if you like. The knitalong doesn't officially begin until the 15th, although I believe some are starting right away. I myself plan to finish up the "Smoke Ring With Lace Edging" first. I don't like to have a lot of projects going at one time.

4 comments:

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

The colors are lovely! I can't wait to start:-)

Anonymous said...

I love winding yarn into what I think of as "Yarn Cakes" 'cause I just want to eat them afterwards. I am knitting a sweater right now with a yarn I didn't like in the skein and loved in a ball, which is good, since it called for 12 of them.

:)

CatonsvilleCats said...

Very pretty color and it will make a dramatic shawl!

Maggie Ann said...

I can see why you love the colors, they are wonderful...very vibrant and yes, wound into the ball, they do give you an idea what they will look like knitted. What a good thought.