Translate

Monday, August 01, 2005

(K)nitty Gritty Sockette "Pattern"

I've been doing a bit of thinking about how best to write down and present the pattern for the sockettes. I made the prototype in commercial sock yarn but they were originally designed for a friend, and her intent is to make them up in handspun yarn, which can vary quite a bit in thickness. Gauge for socks is also a rather personal thing, so rather than specify a specific gauge and corresponding number of stitches to cast on, I've decided to tell you HOW I made them without getting into all the specifics. Obviously with this pared down so-called "pattern" you will have to be a bit of an experienced sock knitter. Mainly you will have to be familiar with some kind of toe-up technique as I've decided not to go into that in detail.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So here it is, pared down to just the (K)nitty Gritty Sockette "Pattern".

Using your favorite Toe-Up sock pattern, and an even number of stitches, work the sock toe until piece measures two and a half inches, in length, from the beginning.

Cast off approximately 1/6 of your total stitches, CENTERED OVER THE TOE. (This is where the sock opens to become a "shoe".)

If you were using double-pointed needles for the toe, change now to straights. Those using circular needles can continue on, but switch now to knitting back and forth, "flat".

Knit back and forth in stockinette (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) until the flat section of the sockette will reach (gently stretched) to the end of your heel. Note: This is considerably farther than with your normal sock, but we are not creating a turned heel.

Heel Shaping: (Edited with correction) Knit to within 3 stitches of the center of your row, K2 tog, k2, SSK, knit to end of row.
Purl one row.
Repeat last two rows.

Knit to center of row. Fold work in half, right sides together. Bind off remaining stitches using three needle bind off.

Work 2 rounds of single crochet* around foot opening, decreasing where necessary to create a snug fit. Crochet a strap to reach across instep, leaving an opening for a buttonhole. Sew on a matching button.

*Alternately, for those who don't crochet, or choose not to, you can keep the edge stitches from curling by working each row in the flat section as:

On right side: sl 1, knit across.
On wrong side: sl 1, k2, purl to last three stitches, K3.

Knit a narrow band long enough to reach across instep, creating a yo, k2tog buttonhole 1/4 inch before the end.


As I said, this is a very pared down, so-called, "pattern". If I've only succeeded in confusing and frustrating you, feel free to email me (address is on my profile page) and I'll try to better clarify what the heckity-peck I did. ;-)

10 comments:

Rabbitch said...

*boggle*

Um, could you say that again? Or better yet, just make some for me?

*g*

Michelle said...

Thanks for taking the time to write this out. I totally "kapeesh!" LOL Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again.

Marlene said...

LOL. Rabbitch, perhaps the problem lies in this:

Excerpt from my horoscope this morning (Capricorn),

"Each sign has its own role, and yours is to take action and create, not to talk about doing it."

As I tried to write down that "pattern" yesterday I realized that I am much better at DESIGNING an item than I am at describing how to do it. Even with dreams of being a pattern designer now in the trash, I won't be going into the production line knitting business either. I prefer to think of myself as a designer of *sniff* ONE OF A KIND originals. Unfortunately, that seems to include socks....I still only have the ONE. ;-)

dragon knitter said...

that was completely and totally understandable (now digging for her sock book so she can figure out a toe up start). i may even make it! (i don't usually do itty bitty socks because they jsut DONT stay on my feet, sigh)

illanna said...

That's a great pattern, and I love the way it's written. I can't wait to try this pattern out- they are so cute.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I just picked up a similar pair of sock mary jane's second hand (like the one's Alison at the blue blog bought in Germany recently: http://alison.knitsmiths.us/2005_09.html#001398 ) to try and copy. This will be a good place to start!

Anonymous said...

Anyone have an estimate of about how many yards of worsted this would take? I've got 140, but I'm a little nervous it won't make it all the way through two.
Thanks!

Marlene said...

I hope you find your way back to this Sarah, as your email address was "not shown".

I have no idea how much worsted it would take, as I have only done it in fingering. My rough guestimate would be "not much". Why not knit them both at the same time so that if you start to run out you can add a contrast stripe or do the edging and strap in a contrast colour. One thing....it wouldn't take much time to knit them in worsted so if it doesn't work out you haven't wasted a lot of time.

Anonymous said...

How much did you cast on for the one done in the picture? I am not sure how much to start with.

Marlene said...

I honestly can't remember as I just make these up as I go to fit the foot I am knitting for. Try starting with 24 stitches (12 'sole' and 12 'instep') and increase every row to twice that many and thereafter increase every other row until it fits the width of your foot.