Translate

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Designing With Kauni

Originally this:

was purchased to make the "Ladies Jacquard Vest" from Knitpicks.com, but using Kauni 8/2 for the background. I thought the softly varied light grey to black shading would look more interesting under the Burgundy tweed patterning. Unfortunately the Kauni is a bit thicker than the Knitpicks Palette yarn that is called for in the pattern and I wasn't able to achieve gauge and still maintain a soft, drapable fabric.

So I have designed an entirely different vest for myself using Sweater Wizard. This vest will still have the varying greys/black background and the burgundy tweed patterning but the stitch pattern and neckline will be different. I'm hoping it will actually look better than the original plan. At least I won't end up with flowers planted directly over the...ahem..."girls".

2 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

It looks lovely! I wish I had 1/4 your know-how Marlene. A good thing happened here last week. My hubby bought me a Pat Green carder at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival...I'm having a grand time using it. I'm thrilled in fact! Its so much fun...I flick my pieces of wool first and end up with a nice big batt. I tear it into strips and spin....it seems I can spin faster because its easier to card it (volume wise) than hand comb or flick. I'm always running things by you for your advice or take it seems. Forgive? Just can't help myself ...lol

Nancy said...

Your vest idea sounds great. Flowers on the grrls??? Maybe if one is 6 years old one can get away with such decorations.